Technical Project Manager (aerospace, embedded software)
Rapita Systems, Inc. is seeking a talented and highly motivated project manager with a background in mission critical embedded systems.
Based in Novi, Michigan (USA), the successful applicant will manage US-based complex software projects that use the latest technology for development and verification of global aerospace and automotive real-time embedded systems.
As a Technical Project Manager, you will make an impact
- You will be supporting leading names adopt the latest innovations in multicore processor technology for use in real-time embedded avionics for both manned and unmanned systems, ensuring safe and efficient air travel well into the future.
- You will be responsible for delivery of Rapita's MACH178 compliance solution in the USA; MACH178 provides an end-to-end solution for providing certification evidence to satisfy DO-178C and A(M)C 20-193 objectives.
- You will help expand our aerospace technologies into the automotive and other industries.
- You can expect to be involved in many areas of the business, have high visibility with executive leadership and have a direct impact on strategy and direction.
What will you love about managing our project teams?
- This exceptional career opportunity allows you to use your project management and analysis skills to develop a project from concept to completion. You will solve complex technical challenges for safety critical hardware and software. Through careful analysis and effective communication, you will keep the project on a productive path through to successful completion.
- Working with our small, dedicated teams of hardware and software engineers and coordinating with our teams in the UK and Spain, your job is to enable them to do their best work. If you’re an inspirational leader who can bring out excellence in people, then you will thrive in this role.
- Rapita Systems has a positive company culture, where everyone is proactive and happy to help. Every person makes meaningful contributions throughout the business, creating a tight-knit team across departments and disciplines. We work with some of the largest companies in the aerospace and automotive industries and get to work on large cutting-edge projects with complex technical challenges where we can really make a difference.
What you will do
- Oversee a portfolio of software services projects, ensuring coordination of shared resources, common activities, and other dependencies across projects.
- Lead and manage complex, multi-disciplinary teams to provide transformational solutions to customers, allocate resources effectively and mentor engineer staff.
- Maintain customer relationships, keeping internal/external stakeholders engaged in the project; status reporting and risk management.
- Build strong relationships with customers to develop new and follow-on business, work with sales teams on customer visits, presentations, demonstrations and proposals.
What would make you great at this role
- Bachelor’s degree, preferably in STEM subject such as Computer Science, Engineering, or similar.
- Customer-focused attitude, ability to respond to requests for information and proposals (RFI/RFPs) and develop technical statements of work (SOW)
- Project Management Professional (PMP) certification from Program Management Institute (PMI).
- 5+ years of experience with directing the development of software/electronic products in the defense, aerospace or automotive industries with success in planning and executing multi-year development and services projects.
- Experience with safety-critical, real-time, embedded system development is highly desirable, familiarity with some of DO-178C, CAST-32A, A(M)C 20-193, RTCA DO-297, ARINC-653, ISO 26262 or IEC 61508
This is a full-time role. Only US Persons (US Citizens and Permanent Residents) will be considered - this is a requirement to support US defense contracts. Candidate must be a SE Michigan resident or willing to relocate to the Detroit Metro, MI area.
This position will directly report to the Head of Engineering Services.